The cart abandonment rate in ecommerce is around 70%. This more or less means that 3 out of 4 consumers who add products to their carts do not complete their order. Therefore, it is in your power to convert those abandoned carts into income through the implementation of an effective email marketing strategy. Not sure where to start?
Applying the appropriate strategy to recover abandoned carts will depend on your sector and your audience. Keep in mind that what works for one does not have to be successful for another. However, there are certain factors and elements that cannot be missing from your rescue emails.
Why do users leave abandoned carts in an ecommerce?
There are many reasons why users do not finish their purchase process in an online store or ecommerce . We always tend to think that the user has compared the product with someone from the competition of kids book illustrations and in the end has opted for that one. Although it is one of the reasons, it is not the only one.
These are other reasons for abandonment:
- Website loading is slow .
- The website is down .
- Shipping costs are high and delivery times are long.
- The creation of an account and purchase forms are time consuming and / or are complex to understand.
- There is little variety of payment methods .
- Lack of transparency in the shipping and returns policy .
- Other extraneous circumstances such as a phone call or some distraction .
Cart recovery email example for Wix customers with digital stores.
Benefits of email marketing to recover carts
Basically, your goal is to get the attention of those users who abandoned their carts in your ecommerce again and make them reconsider the purchase in your ecommerce . To achieve this, you must define an email marketing strategy to convince and remind those undecided users that their cart is still there and that they finish their purchase.
By sending these emails in order to recover abandoned shopping carts in your ecommerce, you can benefit from the following:
- Remind them that they did not complete the transaction and leave them a link to finish it.
- Make a summary of the products they added to the cart and highlight their benefits .
- Encourage communication with the client and increase their trust.
- Optimize the user experience .
- Increase conversions.
What to keep in mind before executing your email marketing strategy?
To carry out a successful email marketing strategy , the first thing you must do is choose the software with which you are going to send your emails. To mention a few, Mailchimp is one of the most powerful software for creating emails and recovering abandoned carts. You also have Hubspot , a tool focused on automation processes and an inbound methodology. Through the workflows you can schedule the abandoned cart emails.
These are the general steps to follow before starting to configure and design your emails :
- Check that your ecommerce is compatible and synchronize the data with your list.
- Choose when to send the email after the user has abandoned their cart.
- Start designing your email , adding your logo and creating an irresistible powerful copy.
What elements cannot be missing in an abandoned cart email?
The content of your email carries great weight. So regardless of the software you choose, the design and content must be attractive and relevant to the user , as well as the frequency of delivery.
Let’s see what elements yes or yes you should take care of to further perfect your email marketing strategy to recover abandoned carts.
1. The subject must have hook
A mistake that many make is to work the content of their email to the maximum and forget the subject . What good is this if the hook for users to enter and read your email is poor? No one will enter to read your email .
One metric that will help you understand if your subject line is working is the open rate . If it is low, it will indicate that you need to improve the copy of that phrase.
To increase your open rate thanks to the subject, add one of these elements:
- Discounts and urgency: “take it now! 20% discount if you place your order in 24 hours ”.
- Offer something of value and raise expectations : “We have a gift for you.”
- Create a direct and personalized message .
- Add when you see fit emojis .
- Boost sales by causing shortages and urgency in the customer , using a countdown or adding words like “limited stock”, “only x left”.
2. Create a simple form to get their email addresses
Remember that one of the reasons the user left is because the purchase forms are sometimes confusing and long . Therefore, it is recommended that you create shorter and simpler forms. It only asks for those data that are important, these are the name, your email or the place of residence.
But what happens if the user leaves without giving you their email ? To avoid this, it is advisable that you configure a pop-up when the user intends to leave your site. This pop up must include a striking photo, you can even use humor to reconnect with the user , and a call to action .
3. The copy of the email should make the user think and persuade him
A boring email is a lost customer. Think that email is a way to communicate with your client and that is why you must generate interest. And precisely the secret ingredient to convince the user to return and retrieve their cart is the copy.
These are some things that you should not forget when creating the copy of your message to recover abandoned carts:
- Add a reminder phrase . Let him know that he can finish his purchase whenever he wants, but if he does it in a limited time , he can benefit from a discount.
- It includes a well visible call to action that redirects you to the web.
- Remind him of the products you have in your cart (a photo, a short description and the price).
- If you opt for a message with more text, you can add bullets to describe the benefits of the product.
- Another important factor to increase your credibility and increase their trust is to include positive reviews from other customers .
- Always perform A / B tests to see which copy works best.
4. Design a less aggressive call to action
The call to action is the button that redirects the consumer through the sales funnel . And the one that gives him the instructions to perform the action you want him to do. Hence the importance of these buttons to achieve conversions .
Typically, when an offer is launched, the call-to-action copy usually invites users to purchase . And words or phrases such as “buy now” are used. However, your goal now is to send emails to retrieve carts. Therefore, you must be more subtle and not so aggressive in your copy. It would be more convenient to use phrases like “return to cart” or “checkout now.
5. Plan your emails with the appropriate frequency
The frequency of cart recovery emails is another important issue to consider. Should I send only one email as a reminder or several? According to Experian, marketers who send multiple emails to retrieve abandoned carts are 2.4 times more likely to complete those purchases.
Depending on the value of the purchase, you could plan your email sequence in one way or another. For example, the first email is recommended to be sent between 40 and 60 minutes after abandoning the cart, since it is probably still connected to the Internet and it still has you fresh in its memory. This email should be a simple reminder of the product that was left in the cart and you should add a simple call to action.
The second email should be sent a day later . It will be in this email when you should highlight the benefits of the products and add some social proof of other customers who have already tried it.
And a third email you can send 3-5 days later . This is where coupons and discounts are most important. To make your strategy effective, you could offer a 10-20% discount to new customers . Customers who have already bought from you before, if they are really interested in the product, surely converted in your previous emails.
Others send a fourth email where they integrate other strategies, known as up-selling or cross-selling ; Ideal to encourage them to buy other products related or similar to those that you left in your cart.
6. Prioritize attention to a product
What if a consumer added 7 products to their cart? Is it necessary to remind the user of each of the products in the email? In this case, it is best to focus on a single product , since almost certainly the customer does not have the same desire to buy in all of them.
The product you should focus on is the most valuable . To do this, analyze your statistics and let yourself be guided by your intuition to know which is the best seller. From here, focus on that product to create your sequence of emails to recover abandoned carts.
Highlight your main benefits and create a unique value proposition in email. And to further reinforce this proposition, include positive reviews from other customers who have already used the product.
By following these tips and best practices, you can develop a winning email marketing strategy to recover abandoned carts. However, the real success in your business will be to maintain long-term relationships with your clients thanks to this communication channel.